Cary J. Collins graduated law school in 1979 and joined the Law Firm of Hill, Van Santen, Steadman and Simpson in June 1979. He represented international clients in product liability litigation throughout the United States and was intricately involved in a major personal injury case, Holden vs. State Fair of Texas, a jury trial in the United States Northern District of Texas in 1982 which lasted over six weeks.
He became a shareholder in Hill, Van Santen, Steadman & Simpson in 1983 and left in January 1985 to begin my own practice.
Mr. Collins established a reputation in the area of Fire and Police Pension Law and has litigated several Appellate Court cases of first impression. A frequent speaker on topics of public pension issues, he has spoken before the Illinois Government Financial Officers Association, Illinois Treasurers Association, the National Fire and Police Pension Fund Association, Illinois State Fraternal Order of Police, the Illinois Associated Firefighters of Illinois, Illinois Police Association and for the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Pension Division. Serves on the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation Advisory Panel and the Judicial Inquiry Board.
1979 John Marshall Law School
- 1974-1979 University of Illinois – Office of Business Affairs Supervisor
- 1979-1984 Shareholder Hill Van Santen, Steadman and Simpson, Sears Tower, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1985-Present Law Offices of Cary J. Collins, P.C.
AREA OF PRACTICE:
General practice with concentration in the area of Police and Fire Pension Law, Administrative Law and Municipal Law.
- 1995-Present Legal Counsel of the Illinois Public Pension Advisory Committee
- 2003-2010 Village of Hoffman Estates Trustee
- 2005-2006 Chairman Finance Committee Village of Hoffman Estates
- 1997-2001 Hoffman Estates Park District Commissioner –Past President
- 1985-1989 Chairman Hoffman Estates Police and Fire Commission
- 1989-Present General Counsel Hoffman Estates Business Association
- 1982 Former Vice Chairman, Product Liabilities Committee of American Bar Association
- 1986-1995 Deputy General Counsel Illinois Police Pension Fund Association
- Four-Year Term Chairman, Hoffman Estates Unit of American Cancer Society
- 1989-1991 Regional Representation of the Northwest Suburban Unit of the American Cancer Society
- Four-Year Term Host of “Within the Law” Cable Television
- 1984-1985 Director Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- 2001-Present Appointee of the Illinois Department of Insurance Pension Advisory Service Committee
- 1997-2003 Illinois Park & Recreation Association, Join Public Awareness & Conference Committee
- 2005-Present Trustee, Hoffman Estates Firefighters Pension Board
- 2003-Present Trustee, Hoffman Estates Police Pension Board
- 2003-Present Trustee, Village of Hoffman Estates
- 1994-Present General Counsel, Northern Illinois Police Crime Laboratory
- 1999-2003 General Counsel, Hoffman Estates Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- 1994-2000 President, Hoffman Estates Fire Protection District
- National Fire and Police Pension Fund Association, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- 1997- Present Disability Hearing Procedures
- 1995- Present Illinois Public Pension Advisory Committee Annual Conferences
- 1986 Conference of the Illinois Police Pension Fund Association
- IGFOA Fiduciary Responsibilities of Pension Trustees
- Illinois Department of Insurance Pension Advisory Service Committee
- Recent Published Appellate Court decision, Village of Oak Park vs.
- Weidler and Bassett vs. Pekin
- 2005 Buy-back of Creditable Service for Firefighters
- 1995-Present Illinois Public Pension Advisory Committee, Quarterly Newsletter 2001, 2003 Firefighters Pension and Police Pension Plan Description Booklets
- 1997 Portability of Police Pensions
- 1997 Establish Pension Disability Procedures
- 1996 Local Issues of Pension Funds
- 1994 Investigating and Adjudicating Disability Claims
- 1992 Develop Police & Fire Pension Forms & Procedures